Saturday, December 23, 2006

holly jolly snowy christmas

We got a lot of snow the other day, so it will definitely be a white Christmas. Wednesday night, as the snow fell, I measured 21" in the yard at the house. It was one of those quiet, beautiful winter nights. We made popcorn and cozied up on the couch with a beer in hand and enjoyed the snow. We knew we wouldn't be doing much on Thursday.

It did not take long on Thursday, though, before I had cabin fever. I got out to run a few erands. It didn't matter that no stores were open with which to run errands to... I was out and about.

Main Street in Lyons looked pretty good compared to everything else I saw. The snow divider in the middle of the road was tall enough you could not see over it. Hope you made the right lane choice at the intersection!


Again the Hall Ranch urged pulled me in. I figured I'd take a quick drive up & to see how much was up there. I debated even driving into the lot, but I saw tracks so I followed. It did not take me long before I realized that I was the lowest ground clearance vehicle to have made it in there so far. I was too scared to stop so I just kept the throttle humming. I was able to stop for a photo on the way back down. Besides, I had gravity on my side that way. Bumper + deep snow anyone?

Because of the big snow, most stores in the region had shut down. I, of course, being the master of planning ahead for Christmas had not yet begun my shopping. Oops. That meant 4+ hours at the mall on Friday. Not fun. Not even remotely close to fun. I was stuck in my version of hell. The mall oozed with tons, literally tons of people - on the roads, in the parking lots, in the mall, in the stores, in line for checkout. Anytime I'm in this massive vortex of faceless people known as the mall, I'm even more thankful to call Lyons home.

And Lyons sure is pretty in the snow, too. I got out for a short run in the snow today. I ran thru Bohn and Meadow Parks on hardpacked singletracked snow. The snow was beautiful everywhere. It was good to get out. Running isn't riding but it sure beats hanging out on the couch watching "It's a Wonderful Life." Ahhh, Christmas.

Have a merry Christmas and holiday season everyone. And get outside. It's beautiful out there.

2 comments:

Schuman said...

A wonderful life is not the greatest holiday movie but you got to admit that 24 hours of A Christmas Story hits the spot. I've watched it twice already today.

Just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and I really enjoyed a great season of biking with such great guys.

Cheers everyone....

Melis said...

Word - Happy Holidays Fella's