Friday, April 27, 2007

Whats up with velonews?

I gotta say it, Velonews.com is so pathetic. If you go to their website, the first thing you see is a photo of Basso and a caption about how his life is in balance. Why isn't there a photo/story of Gerolsteiners back to back wins. It seems they would rather focus their stories on the troubles of cycling. I do want to hear about riders who are facing troubles but why can't it be a sub-story? They have absolutely no reports on recent racing. Cyclingnews on the other hand has found a way to do both (please don't use the excuse that one has a publication and the other doesn't), I won't wait to read about racing results a month after it happened. Velonews simply dwells on drama and not the positive side of cycling. I'm pissed. I guess I'll just accept the fact that Velonews is the National enquirer and not NPR. I think they should rename their publication from Velonews to Velo-bullshi*t.

Whats your vote? Cyclingnews.com or Velonews.com?

4 comments:

debaser said...

Once I found Dirtrag I quit Velonews cold turkey.

What's with all the closet roadies on the site?

Steve Gabbard said...

I used to get pretty wrapped up in pro cycling, worrying about who was doping and was not doping, and I let it affect me. Now, I adhere to the idea that what the pros do has very little effect on me and my riding. They are two separate things, and I can still ride and have fun and accept that the pros dope.

What I don't like is that somewhere, there is a junior who has talent, and his/her coach tells them that to go to the next level, they will need to cheat to do it. Very bad.

What was the original question? Oh, yeah, cyclingnews.com gets my vote. They are not based in the USA, so their slant is less fluff and more informational, they do real tech articles and comparisons on all kinds of bikes, and the writing is better.

Also, as someone else said, DirtRag has heart and soul that VeloNews does not even have the ability to fake.

Closet roadies? It is all about two wheels for me. Road, cross, MTB, whatever - heck I would probably ride a BMX bike if someone would give one to me, and I didn't worry so much about my old-guy bones breaking so easily.

Melis said...

Content, Content Content...cyclingnews

MG said...

yup. cyclingnews it is.

i like dirt rag too.