Thursday, July 26, 2007

past ride, future ride and ramblings

Oliver enjoys a rare smooth section of the most recent Tuesday ride. It was mmm, good.
Can't have a Tuesday ride lately without the "sitting on the rock checking out the view" pose.
Will wonders never cease? For literally a couple of years, CDOT and town of Lyons have been hashing out the plans for reconstruction of the two bridges on US36 just west of town. Well, during that two years, it was concluded that there would be a seperate bike lane (ie seperated with a barrier and grass) up to Eagle Canyon and an underpass to go under the 2nd bridge and onto Apple Valley Road. CDOT is finally nearing completion of this massive project. I've been keeping an eye on it and must say, I was quite dissapointed to see that they had not graded under the bridge for the path. With the underpass possibility vaporized, I feared that we would lose the bike path, too.

Finally, after waiting with baited breath, I saw that they have finally poured the curb and started backfilling for the bike path (it'll be crusher fine for now). It is NOT seperated by a barrier or grass - it is right up against the road. Not to be negative, though, I am super happy that it's become a reality. It is about 8 feet wide and will go from just east of Eagle Canyon all the way to the Stone Cup at 5th and high. I'm jumping for joy now. Seriously :)

Does anyone want to go for a road ride this Sunday? I just got one of my roadies fixed up and newish again and I'm itching to take it out. Thinking of either doing the Jamestown loop or an Estes loop. Probably Sunday am, but it could be after I close up Sunday - If anyone is interested, I'll post a follow up as I uncover more details. Maybe someone could bring some dope or a bag of blood to make it even more fun.

Oh - any ideas where to go next Tues? Think we could bust out Coney Creek or Mid St Vrain up and come down Buchanan Pass? I'm game for trying. Might just bring a lamp, too.

2 comments:

Melis said...

SWEETNESS - Coney Creek or Mid St Vrain up and come down Buchanan Pass!

FixieDave said...

Think i can make it this tues...

Room for a carless rider?