Wednesday, September 03, 2008

cleaning out the garage - another bike for sale

So, I'm trying to thin out some of the bikes laying around the garage that I don't ride. This one is pretty cool and very unique. I started working for Schwinn right before Schwinn bought out GT. With the buyout of GT also came the acquisition of GT's custom frame facility in Longmont as well as it's employees. Long story short, I picked up this custom hand fillet brazed, 853 steel, GT Edge road frame from one of the GT guys that worked at the custom shop and lived in Lyons.

He was about 6' tall and just a hair over 200lbs and this bike was built for him. He and I have about the same proportions but I'm a lot lighter. Surprisingly, this GT Edge is super comfortable and has impeccable road manners. Actually gotta say that it's the best riding road bike I own (since it was made to ride the roads around Lyons) but I'm the least sentimentally attached to it. Also seeing as how I ride on the road maybe twice a month and I have 2 other roadies and a cross bike, this one's got to go.
black beauty

853 steel and immaculate fillet brazing. Dura Ace cranks, too. The bike is a Dura Ace/Ultegra combo. Ultegra shift levers and brakes



Dura Ace cranks (175) and front der

Dura Ace rear der. Ultegra 12-25 cassette on there for the hills.
I have a few 853 bikes. Steel is real baby.
This sweet handmade beauty has Henry James dropout front and rear. Light, functional, and asthetically pleasing.

Here's the Henry James dropouts on the steel fork. The fork rides beautifully, too. Velomax Circuit wheels front and rear. light and stiff.

Super detailed craftsmanship right down to the cable stops.

The bike has a few nicks and scrapes, mostly shop wear. I had the frame for a couple of years before I built it. It's been built now for 3 years and I think I've only ridden it about 5 times. It does have a little ding on the top tube where the bike fell over onto the bike stand (while I was watching, of course). I only need $700 for this bugger, so let me know if you need to have a sweet stylin steel roadie added to your stable.

Measurements:
top tube - 58cm
seat tube, c-c - 58cm
chainstay - 41cm

It's got a 135mm 3ttt Pro Chrome stem made of Columbus Thron tubing. It's the real deal. If no one wants it, I'll probably keep it, but this bike is just too cool to sit in a garage.

No comments: