Monday, February 20, 2006

Banana Belt

The wife and I had a three day weekend, so we headed out for a one gastank road trip. Friday was spent at Copper Mountain (thumbs down for icyness and lift lines), followed by a pretty drive through Leadville and Buena Vista down to Salida. After a slice of pizza, we rested up for Saturday at Monarch Mountain. Yeah! With a run called Skywalker running along the Continental Divide how could it be bad? It wasn't! It was great snow and no lines. After playing in the snow we headed back to Salida and walked to a Mexican restautant to refuel for Sunday.





Sunday we got up and headed north from Salida toward home. Here's riding in Buena Vista. A touch over 2 hours from BV to our house. It's close! And while temps were just above 20 on the front range, we were basking in nearly 45 when we got done playing, me riding and the wife hiking. I didn't know what to expect ride wise, so I packed the Intense for the trip. While this ride was mostly flatish, I wasn't bummed at all to be riding the 5+" travel bike. I was floored at how well it pedals on flats - it's as feels as quick as a low travel xc bike. And then when things get twisty or rocky, it pulls out the long legs and soaks it up. I simply can't imagine being happier with this bike!



2 comments:

redstone said...

Sounds lke a great time. I've hiked a little of that trail long ago. I remember thinking that I needed to come back with a bike!

How's the rest of the snow playing down at Monarch?

debaser said...

Monarch was cool - small place, we walked back to the car for lunch (took all of 3 minutes, maybe). But there was plenty of good snow and no lines, and great views. I think I've given up on the big resorts for a while, the little guys are where its at for me.