Thursday, June 15, 2006

redstone underground

Short track ect.

I raced the short track in Boulder yesterday in the 102F heat. I figuerd I would show up and see if anybody was foolish enough to race. Well, the B class was about filled to capacity and I knew I was not the only fool. I brought out the On-One 29er single for the inaugural race. The course was so dusty and dry it made Hall Ranch look like a tacky ride.

Usually I race a couple of these races every summer until my allergies get to me. This course is notoriosly bad for those who suffer hay fever. So much so that the coughing fit after finishing is called "the short track hack". On one peticular year somebody decided that using sheep to cut the grass would be a good idea. I arrive, with sniffly nose, and sign up for the suffering. After the race, drooling and hacking laying on the ground, I notice all the sheep shit. It was covering every square inch of the course. I look to the far corner of the property and see about a hundred sheep grazing. How I didn't see them before I don't know. Then I notice half the race field is looking and sounding like me, sitting on the shit covered ground hacking away the dust and sheep shit from their lungs.

That gives you an idea of what I think of the short track race is like. But it is also a great chance to race against the fastest guys in the U.S. You name them and they probably raced here. That is what keeps me coming back every year. You will find out exactly how good your fitness is by racing here.

My race went well. I didn't know how my singlespeed gearing would work out but I happened to pick a good gear. 32x16 with 29"wheels was a taller gear, but proved to be perfect. I was a little slow on the one straight section, but otherwise very good. I was 10th after the second turn and started picking off a riders one at a time. I was in fourth near the end but got caught on the last lap. I finished fifth or sixth. I didn't check because I was suffering from the "short track hack" and didn't feel like checking. As usual that race made my lungs burn and my nose run. I even had to go to the doctor today for some hay fever relief (see prednisone). I don't know if I will do another one. Maybe on a rainy day. I think I may just do the Wednesday time trial on 36.

4 comments:

debaser said...

I've watched people suffer at that race many a time, but have never managed to toss my hat in the ring. Mostly because it looks like it hurts as much as you describe.

One of these days we might have to race the twin bikes.

Davetoo said...

Would you have been faster on your Epic?

redstone said...

Good effort man. Sucks about the dust. If you wait for a rainy day, though, it'll be October and we'll have to call it cyclocross!

Melis said...

A better man than I. I had all my stuff packed to get the short track hack but.....I chose cocktails poolside instead. Good work, sounds like fun.?.?.?