Thursday, December 27, 2007

long one for your reading pleasure

Lots of stuff tonight. I hope everyones Christmahannakwansika was excellent. Mine was. Even got a run and a bike ride in whilst out o' town visiting all the mad relatives.

First off, before I forget, how about a New Years Day ride? slowerthansnot is hosting a little ride down in Denver. I'd love to make it, but it's an 11am Denver start time. We'll probably end up touring the North Country up here. This will be a post lunch endeavor, and I'd optimally like to get a few hours in. I'm thinking of frozen torture on the cross bike. You know, snow packed roads, slop, melting snow, and some pavement. We should try to find some mud, too. Let me know if that sounds like fun to you. Anyone worried about being "the slow guy" on the Spring desert ride feel free to come along. Right now, I'm thinking I'll be the guy, but things certainly change in 5 months! At least we'll all be in primo shape for the 8th annual Lyons Fat Tire Fest on Memorial Day '08! Make sure to write 'er down in your calendars. 2008 will be an epic event. Expect LOTS of brutal climbing, sweet, sweet singletrack, and a long descent. I feel like I let some of the expectant deathmarchers down in 2007 so we're going to make up for it in 2008 in a big way. heh heh

And speaking of epic events, check this out. Fixie Dave, aka Whiskey Dave, aka slowerthansnot will be riding in this insane undertaking. Wish that crazy bastard luck! You know I mean that in a good way, Dave :)

And also speaking of an epic 2008, great news on the trail access front. First and foremost and hopefully at the top of everyone's list is that the Picture Rock Trail will open sometime in summer 2008. We all previously know it as the "Lyons Connector" from Heil Ranch. It's almost 1/2way done already distance wise. Time wise, though, county trail crews are further along than that, as the section that's done had the most challenging terrain. The other "sleeper" news of 2008 is that Hermit Park is expected to open to the public. You've gotta hand it to Larimer County. They only bought this parcel of land 1 or 2 years ago and they'll soon have it ready for public use, including 5-6 miles of new trail. Let's hear it for lack of beurocratic bullshit. Is anyone from Boulder County Open Space reading this?

Here's what I know, from a press release that recently went out. "The 2008 Larimer county Dept of Natural Resources' Annual Entrance Permits, for parks and open space managed by Larimer County, are now available for purchase. These permits are valid Dec 2007 through Dec 2008 and allow use of Carter Lake, Flatiron Res, Horsetooth Res, Horsetooth Mt Park, Pinewood Res, Ramsay Shockey Open Space, and Hermit Park Open Space (planned for early summer, 2008, opening." Yeehaw. Anyone ever ride Ramsay Shockey? I'd like to get up there. We'll have to do a few laps there in the spring for a Tuesday Night Ride once it thaws. If you don't know where/what Hermit Park is, just know this. Those 5-6 miles of trail aren't that big of a deal by themselves, but they will allow for some superb interconnectivity with some Roosevelt USFS trails.

I often say that tools are like bikes. You can't have too many. Some of my favorites are like trails - you don't use them all the time, but they sure hit the spot when you're in need. Like these digital calipers, a recent acquisition. Ah, very nice!


Hmm, that sure was a long post. It's about all I can think of for now. Or at least until I hit the "submit" button. :)
Oh, here's one more thing, especially since we were talking about beurocratic bs. This is good beurocracy, though. Check it out if you're interested in garnering some educational materials regarding trail building. Definitely worth the time it takes to fill out the form. Don't think it's free, though, you paid for it with your taxes!

3 comments:

Tree said...

That's good news on Hermitt Park and it's close to my house! I may be into a ride on NYD...will an SS be OK?

Anonymous said...

what time are you guys rolling out on Sun?

-V

redstone said...

Not sure about Sunday. The shop's open at Noon so before that I have to get in a ride and my wife will be going for a run. Probably going out on the SS on Sunday. I'll post up if anything materializes in advance :)