Sunday, February 25, 2007

sight for sore eyes

I don't know which was easier on the eyes. Real dirt or the rock garden of Hall Ranch. It was good to get out and revisit both. The front side of Hall is bone dry up to the top bench. After that, once the trail visits the north facing slopes, it is still very sloppy. I turned around before I got into it. Still, despite the short ride, I was on the rigid ss, so I felt pretty worked.





Apparently, I didn't hurt enough after climbing and descending the rock garden with one gear, so I went looking for more pain. A visit to Heil Valley Ranch was just the ticket. I had good beta that the trail was 100% rideable, so I took off early, early in the morning to get 'er done. It was terrific. I was the only person at the park this morning. Zero cars in the lot when I arrived and zero cars in the lot when I left. I saw no one. The 29er SS On One Inbred was perfect. Heil was suprisingly single-able on a 32x18 gear. I did have one dab, but that's mostly because I was a little tired and my aim was off :). Not like all the walking I had to do in the rock garden...

To say that Heil is dried out for the season would be an overstatement, though. It's 100% rideable, but part of that includes riding over some hella snow drifts that are now firm, glaciated ice/snow. Once it warms up a bit more, it's going to be muddy. Enjoy it when it's good!

Sooo, Tuesday ride at Boulder Valley Ranch? Locals meet up at the shop at 6:30 so we can be at the Neva Rd trailhead by 7?

4 comments:

debaser said...

That singletrack has singletrack. I'm considering a Wednesday ride up there.

Melis said...

No dukes on the Tuesday night ride for me. I had the flu this weekend & have not yet kicked it. Still sitting better than big George Hincapie, what a drag G.

Schuman said...

Dukes for me. see you at 630pm

Schuman said...

Thanks for the great ride Big D. Coot Lake was stinky and the legs got tired. What more can you ask for?