Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tuesday Ride, Intense Demos this week!

Don't forget, Intense will be at Redstone for this weeks Tuesday ride. The bikes will show up between 4:30 and 5pm. Get there early to grab a bike and get loaded up. We're driving approximately 30 minutes to the Peaceful Valley region of the hills west of the Peak to Peak. Whilst I had originally intended for us to climb Middle St Vrain Rd and descend Buchanan Pass, the plan has changed.

I went out tonight to do some snow/thaw recon west of Peaceful Valley. I rode Sourdough to the Coney Creek Cutoff trail and up to Coney Creek Rd.


Coney Creek Road was it's usual baby head infested jeep road self. Fun for those that like to inflict bumpy pain. Really, though, Coney Creek is a good climb. I was actuallly pretty amazed at how dry it was. The usual super mega water/mud holes were pretty shrivelled up already. Things were looking positive.


Coney Creek road runs up to and abutts the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Basking in the goodness of Sawtooth here. Unbelievable views.



The return trip on Buchanan Pass was rocky. It's not a super long trail, but Buchanan Pass is devillishly technical at the top, with fun high speed sections at the bottom. This is about the only pic I took of the trail. It's rocky.



Another picture of the waterfall, one of the non big mountain money shot views on BP.


All in all, it was a great ride. Took me just about 2 hrs 20 min, but that included a 10 minute snack break at the top. The descent was super fun and completely thawed. We're going to pass on it for the demo ride, though. We'll save this one for next week. I looked at my bike later and it was pretty sloppy. Buchanan Pass is normally a wet ride late in the summer. Today, the areas that are typically wet and muddy were even more so. I've got too much respect for the Intense crew to take all their bikes out and get them muddy before they make it to the next shop!


For this Tuesday's ride, we'll basically be doing an abbreviated version of what we did last week. We won't creep out in the dark, don't worry. Show up at the shop at 5:30 and be ready to ride!

Oh, one last thing. I had one of my most fun test rides ever this week after doing some work on a customer bike. Check it out: I don't think I'd go out on the road with it, but it would be fun as hell to have a trike crit in a feild full of these. I had to try really, really hard to get a wheel off the ground. Talk about Gs!

3 comments:

redstone said...

I just talked to Intense today. The new trail bike will be called the Tracer VP. I had an original Tracer once and it was one of my favorite bikes. I hope the tradition continues.

redstone said...

bring your pedals, too!

redstone said...

I just talked to my Intense rep. He will have 3 of the new Tracers with him.