Friday, January 13, 2006

A Thought for Summer...

You know those rides you do that, when you're done, you swear to yourself and everyone around you that there is absolutely no way that you will even think about ever attempting that feat again? Thennnnn, time passes, that ride has somehow magically gotten easier in your head and you start to daydream?



I've been thinking about that very thing lately. In fact, I've been thinking quite a bit about the last uber death march. This wasn't just a really long ass ride, it was a 100% bona fide death march. Complete with all the requisite fixins like 2 big mountain passes miles apart, 15' cornices in July, nut deep water crossings, a 1500' game trail descent, moose antlers, a Kawasaki Mule, the world's largest beaverdam/superfortress and a low elevation of 9200'. I have now reached the point where I can finally realize (in the safety of my own home) that that particular ride was one of the greatest rides I have ever done. All 10 hours of it. It was definitely a dawn to dusk afair.

We started about 1000' below this pass on the left side you can't see. From here to the bottom then climbing to the ridgeline in the way back on the right is the first 30% of the ride...


Before we even attempted the ride, I did my due diligence. I called forest rangers, talked to bike shops, solicited internet help. No one had ever heard of it except the rangers, and they hadn't been up that way in a couple of years. When you encounter that, you know you're in for an adventure. It was. I am ready to tackle the beast again.


I've had the maps out. It really is a great way to ride during the winter you know, reading maps and daydreaming. I've found another way around the beaverfortress that trapped a significant amount of time and effort on the last attempt. There is a singletrack/service road option that will allow us to bypass the marshy tree fallen area where sweet singletrack used to live.




Not too mention the fact that when we ride it next summer, we should push the date of the effort back to August. Heck, the pass is only open a few weeks out of the year. Last time, we were forced downhill early due to a snowed in ridgeline single track that looked like it would be oh, so sweet.








The long game trail descent wasn't bad, but the rocky marsh that it dumped us into was. Another time (and foot) suck that we can avoid. And maybe, just maybe, we'll find a new starting point so as to eliminate the 3000' climb out at the end of the day.


Yep, that ride was so great that I cannot wait to do it again! Next years ride will be smarter and better, for sure. And I'm sure it will be much easier ;). I might even bring an extra pair of socks this year...




August - when's a good date? Mark your calendars...

4 comments:

Melis said...

I've been dreaming about this! Thanks for introducing me to Death March Dave...it's truely a pleasure. I'm in regardless of the date.

debaser said...

This alternately scares me and intrigues me. I'd probably try to find myself there.

redstone said...

You guys will love it! bwaahhhahahaha!

Davetoo said...

righteous. Those pictures are amazing. I'd like to go.