Thursday, January 19, 2006

hard to go incognito in conditions like this

Today was a great day. I got to spend most of the day with my daughter - a pleasure that I don't get to enjoy often enough. I lucked out and got a late afternoon hall pass during naptime. What's the perfect CO outdoor activity when it's 30 degrees and inches of fresh snow are on the ground? Yep. Ridin'. I went up Antelope, did a loop, and came back down Antelope. Super serene. Days like today are fantastic. The trail had 2-4 inches of fresh snow with a hard dirt base underneath. From the Antelope lot all the way to the top of the loop in the back I only had to dab a few times going up. I had an ass dab on the perma ice on the loop. Heck it looked smooth and that snow, well... BAM - butt to ground in miliseconds. Got up laughing from that one. Today it was definitely key to keep the gyroscope spinning to maintain balance. I had a couple of slow goes in switchbacks but was able to tractor thru without incident. Did I mention that the 5 Spot tractor is a superb snow bike. That long wheelbase really comes in handy with squirrel inducing ice and snow underneath.






Even though it was late in the afternoon when I rolled out, I was lucky enough to have fresh tracks pretty much the entire way. Towards the bottom of Antelope on the return trip, though, I encountered 2 guys riding up, not far from the bottom. Seemed like they were having a tough go, but hey, they were doin' it. Another beautiful day in paradise without question.

opg,
redstone

3 comments:

joel.white said...

Quite a different scene than I saw less than 24 hours before that. Trail was very hard packed and dusty, could probably use the moisture.

debaser said...

Looks like you're making the most out of your time these days. Count me as jealous.

redstone said...

I definitely have been getting the most of my days lately. Have to, only have a few more weeks before the arrival of #2! I've been lucky enough to have a day here and there to get out.