Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A bear in it's natural habitat...

A Studebaker!

Actually, not a car but my backyard. I had to get into the garage the other day to gather up a few things for a bike ride. I saw a somewhat large black mass move quickly from the side of the garage as I walked out of the house. I was curious so I walked around the garage to check it out. I was a bit surprised to see a bear crawling up to the top of my garage and into the tree next to it. I've been here 8 or so years now and have yet to see bear in the yard.

Pretty cool. I went inside to grab my camera, hoping it would still be in the tree. It was.




Shortly after I took the pic, he started snarling and growling at me so I thought it best to pursue another strategy. I went back inside and figured he'd take off.

Well, he didn't. He came back to root around our trash storage (looks like I need to bearproof the trash now). The trash can is just outside of the window of the garage. I went back out to work on bikes and take a few more pics. He was just outside of the garage window so I got to watch it close up. Pretty sweet.

Now, my youngest daugher is having trouble sleeping because some random creature is ouside up on the mountain and is screeching loud enough to keep the neighborhood awake. Don't you just love Colorado? I do :)


5 comments:

debaser said...

Damn!

He looks young. Hopefully he doesn't decide to take up residence in the 'hood.

Mark Edmonds said...

I went back out to work on bikes

Dave - don't you know the perils of bringing your work home with you?

Nice movie quote, btw.

redstone said...

Don't worry Mark, not "working" on bikes. Just getting one ready to ride. You know, fun stuff.

Carey said...

You can tell your daughter the screeching noise is most likely coming from a fox. They make a unworldy noise, somewhere between a screaming baby and wailing women, but it's just a fox nothing scary.

redstone said...

Fox, eh? That makes sense - we've got a bunch out here. Sounded like a wounded eagle screeching. But then again, any noise is scary for a 2 1/2 year old trying to sleep. Thanks Durtgurl!