Sunday, May 04, 2008

Riding from home

I had a narrow time window today, so I opted to save gas $$ and ride from home. I spun out of the shop a little after 4 and headed to Rabbit Mt. It was as sweet as it ever gets. Rocky like Heil Ranch, but good dirt and good views.
The view from the other side of the tracks.

After a quick lap at Rabbit, I headed back to Lyons to hit Hall Ranch. I was feeling good. I've been reigniting the passion in bike riding lately and I'm loving it. I'm more fired up about riding now than I've been in a long time. I've been pumping harder into corner, attacking the hills and the headwinds, and riding from the shop a lot. I was having a great ride as I rode back thru town.

Another funny thing that I noticed concerned all the hoopla about Bohn Park. Lots of folks are saying that we need to "take back" Bohn Park as a local park. Too many cars are coming to and thru town containing folks that don't live here. These same flat earth naysayers have already written off Meadow Park for recreation, as it's completely taken over by non Lyons folk. Talk about xenophobia, sheesh. Anyway, the funny bit is that after rolling thru Rabbit Mt, Bohn Park, Meadow Park, and Hall Ranch, it was obvious that most of the congestion was locals in Bohn Park. I saw NO ONE at all in Meadow Park and Rabbit Mt and Hall Ranch were very sparsely populated. Geez Lyonsites, enjoy your neigboring parks, eh?

Anyway, after rolling up the Antelope Trail and hard charging 2 laps, my legs were starting to feel a little fried. I came down thru the Rock Garden riding tired and sloppy. On the ride back into town, my legs seized up. Cramps all the way around even though I'd been drinking a lot of water. I can't remember the last time I was in that much cramping pain. That only means one thing. I'm still pushing it. That's a good thing. I'm looking back to gaining form and fitness that I haven't seen in a few years.

Hopefully it should all be feasible. Maybe I'll have more time to ride now that things have changed...


Sooo, the schedule for the rest of the week. Tomorrow/Monday is Cinco De Mayo. What better way to celebrate Mexican Independence than a bike ride followed up with tacos and margaritas?

Meet up at the bike shop Monday at 5:30. We'll do a lap or two at Hall and retire back to the Mariposa for food and drink.

Also, don't forget that we're meeting at the main Heil Ranch trailhead for the Tuesday Ride. 6pm. Be there.

Oh, finally got the new sign up, too. sweet!

1 comment:

debaser said...

Sign looks good! I'll be seeing it on person soon for some emergency routine maintenance parts... if you know what I mean.