Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fat Tire Fest Version 8.0 Next Weekend!


Howdy all. Sorry for the late notice on this, it's been a little hectic around the shop lately. The time has come. The 8th Annual Lyons Fat Tire Fest is next weekend.

This year won't be a super over the top big production, just a homey fest like you all grew to know and love. So much so, in fact, that we'll be retracing the route of the 1st ever LFTF Deathmarch. That's right. Deathmarch. I feel like I let a few folks down last year. Sure it was a long ride but it was mostly technically easy and I was personally bummed that absolutly noone used my name in vain last year. I would like to make up for that with this years Version 8.0


What you can expect:
Friday, 5/23. We'll start off with a short-ish ride by meeting at the shop at 2pm. We'll get back somewhere between 6 and 7. Well, that's the plan anyway. Expect steep and loose climbing, good singletrack, and fun descending. We'll be driving approximately 20-30 minutes.
Saturday, 5/24. Deathmarch Day. Meet up at the shop at 8:30am. I'll have breakfast waiting, too. Local Lyonsite Denise Braly has generously agreed to fill us up on Breggos, her own creation of bread/egg/pototato/other stuff that's kind of like a breaded breakfast burritoo. Yeah, there good. Anyway, after we leave the shop we'll drive about 15 minutes before we ditch the cars. Parking will be limited so please carpool. We're shooting for about 35-40 miles, LOTS of climbing, and some big descents. I mean steep, long, technical unmaintained and forgotten about forest trails. We'll see some history, too, by touring an area ripe with homesteads from the early 1900's. The last time I did this ride, I was with local fasty Chad and it took us over 5 hours. It's a big ride, so bring lots of water, food, and a rain coat.
If that sounds like a bit much, we'll have an alternate ride as well. The alternate ride will have all of the same bittersweet singletrack, but will be about 1/2 the distance of the big ride. Ride B will be a point to point so be prepared for shuttling logistics :) Our good man Debaser will be leading up Ride B.
After the Saturday ride, we'll reconvene at the casa del Dave and Mary for beers and grilling. Homeboy Dale from Oskar Blues and Dale's Pale Ale will be providing the beverages. I'll be providing the grills so just bring something to char and a side if you'd like and we'll be all set. There's even potential for a chicken crit inspired time trial. Details will be released on that beerside.
Fat Tire Fest 2008. Be there. Hopefully you'll hate me for it. :)

9 comments:

Schuman said...

Lookin forward to it Big D. Let me know what I can do to help. You know what would be sweet is shuttling in the Oskar's blues bus???? It would save a ton on parking and logistics. Just a thought. A couple of trucks with bikes and one bus with smelly riders.

mimi said...

Good thing you have been attacking the hills and headwinds, and gaining form and fitness that you haven't seen in a few years. Does Chad know about this? Because it sounds like a threat to me.

Just a thought on the bus....I'm pretty sure Monique might have a few things to say about a bunch of 'extra' smelly riders in the bus right before she takes it to Angel Fire. It is a somewhat green plan tho.

redstone said...

There's nothing green about the blues bus :)

Schuman said...

Your right, we'll take the RV.

mimi said...

ur right, i'm wrong, i got my conveyances mixed up. If you knew me you'd know confusional is my notorious condition.

now i feel small.

at least i have a whole head, even if it is a bunny head and you can only see half of it. i wonder what redstone looks like.

Mark Edmonds said...

do we need any vehicles to help with the logistics of the B ride?

The Neil said...

Saturday looks fun, is there any registration or anything? I may be soloing it up there, but can load 3 or 4 more bikes on the car

redstone said...

No registration required. This is a ride at your own risk take care of yourself type of group ride :)

Extra cars will be good. The A ride is a loop ride, but big bike/people haulin' cars will be good for the B ride, as it's a point to point.

The Neil said...

Sounds good to me, I am kinda eying the A ride, I just didn't want to steal anyones breggo!

See ya Saturday morning.

After reading the blog a little more and hearing some stories, I am debating on bringing a light. You gonna get us back by dusk? :)