Sunday, March 02, 2008

Another Great March Day

Warm temps and dry trails this early in the season, coupled with the fact that virtually all of the USFS riding is snowed in gauranteed busy trails at all the open space parks. I guess I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to deal with the crowds on the trail. I was able to get in a half hour with our youngest in the kiddie seat on the bike. She'll be 2 next week and she loved it. Perhaps we'll yet have another bike junkie in the house? It was a great way to wind down a fantastic Spring type of day.
What happened last night?! I heard snow was coming, but wasn't prepared for the almost 4" we had by 9 in the morning. Oh well, Sunday is my day to ride, so I had to make the best of it. By the time 3 rolled around and I closed up the shop, the roads were all dry. I saddled up the Sultan on a gamble that Hall Ranch would be dry, too.

It was. I almost couldn't believe it, but the warm ground temps and previously dry trail opened up like a sponge. I rode up thru the rock garden. The dirt was perfectly tacky and even sandy in spots.




Snowfields and great dirt near the top. From the upper bench down to Antelope was definitely greasy. The bike got sprayed pretty good by the time I made it thru

From there, I rode up to the loop. The beginning of the loop was pretty good, too, so I continued on, clockwise. I rode until the snow got to be too drifted and slick. This is where I turned around. The Sultan was sweet, too.

I returned the same way I came, fearing that I'd potentially have to hike it back to the top by the bench. Despite how greasy it was, I was surprised to see that I had barely made a track in the mud. The hardpack underneath held well. The descent back thru the rock garden was so sweet and the tacky dirt gripped like nobodies business.

2 days into March so far and we've seen the whole spectrum - 2 fantastic Colorado Spring days. Bring it on!

1 comment:

Melis said...

cool man, didn't think hall would be that good. crazy weather, good times. We got a huge ride in saturday from a full Devils Backbone parking lot & then I headed west sunday for a couple hours of snowshoeing. Give a shout monday night if you need a hand.