Thursday, November 22, 2007

cold turkey

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. After feasting on turkey, potatoes, beer, wine and other assorted goodness, I snuck out for a ride as the rest of the family took their places on the couches and chairs. Hey - grandparents make good babysitters so when opportunity knocks, you've got to be ready. I saddled up the Redline Flight Monocog and was off.

Well, it seems as if that wonderful Indian Summer has left us for good. You know winter is here when you're chasing down singletrack thru Bohn Park on a rigid SS and it's great riding! The sun was shining when I rolled out, but it sure got chilly as the sun started to go down. This was taken from Old South looking up at Coffintop Mountain. You can literally see the cold in the air. By this time, I was already riding with my fingers curled up inside my gloves. Keeping hands warm is a great thing. The beauty of SS is that you really don't need the digital dexterity that you do on a gearie.
We had about 5" of new snow in our driveway on Friday morning. It's been sunny but cold. Cold enough that not much has melted at all. I rode over to the hwy 7 rock garden side of Hall Ranch. I dabbed about 4 times and walked a couple of times on the climb. What the hell, it's November, it was icy and snowy and I'm out of shape. I'm not too proud to walk. heh heh

For what it's worth, definitely stay away from Hall unless you're certain the ground is frozen. It's going to be a sloppy, muddy mess for quite a while.
I rolled past antelope and up to the loop. Both daylight and temps were dropping quickly, so I turned around and rolled back down the Antelope. I was amazed at the snow. 75% of Antelope was still under snowpack. It has seen enough use already that some sections of it were super slick. Fun, though - definitely fun.
Bitter cold, snow, late day light and a glimpse of the moon. Yessiree, winter is here. I'm going back out tomorrow to enjoy it :)

No comments: