Wednesday, April 13, 2005

So the Tuesday Night Ride was fun. Well, at least most of it. We rode the tour de Hall. The crew was 4 strong. We climbed up the main trail, looped Nelson, then back to Hwy 7. Everything was fine except for one part. That would be the part where I sampled the dirt. You know, augered head first into the earth. We were descending from the loop. We'd just passed the rocky section with the tight right handers and just past the Prarie Dog Sign on the right side of the trail. 3 jumps right in a row. 1 jump fine, 2 jump fine, 3 jump, land on a gravelly off camber with my wheel cocked-not fine. I tried to ride it out but I could not correct my error. The front wheel slid on the sandy off camber and I augered head first into the dirt at full speed. Add to that the fact that there was a field of cactus just before where I laid. When I got up, I thought, "hmmm, good thing I didn't land in that cactus." As the adrenaline wore off, I felt a twitch in my left arm. I looked down and found that my arm, jacket, and glove were full of cactus needles.

It was an expensive fall. Not only did I break my helmet, I broke my sunglasses, too! As I type this, I still have (3) 1/8" needles stuck somewhere inside of my hand. They're buried so deep that I've tried to forget them. Hopefully, they will emerge someday!

Anway, thanks to Kirk, Jamie, and Chad for rolling with the 'stone. I had a great time and look forward to continuing the tradition next Tuesday!

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

Yow, sounds painful, especially the thorns in your hand. I spilled coming down Trail Ridge Road a couple weekends ago on my road bike and lost some skin. I think I'll take road rash over big splinters, though.

redstone said...

I'm still picking out needles. Oh, well, you've got to pay to play, right?