Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Labor Day Candy II

I had originally planned to ride super early on Labor Day. Somehow, the AM ride turned into a PM ride and I found myself heading into the rain with Melis. He had a rough night the eve prior, so I promised him that we wouldn't go hard, we'd just do a little exploring. Spirits were good enough that the rain did not dampen. Thankfully, though, the rain let up just as we arrived at our destination. We pedaled off and quickly settled in on the days largest climb (the initial one, of course). Thankfully the skies were clouded and temps were cool. It proved to be perfect conditions for this grinder of a climb.
I think this was one of the smoothest sections of the climb, if not the entire day. After arriving at the top of the escalator, we headed into relatively know territory to chase down a couple of leads we had seen in times past. They panned out in a good way. Think of delicious rocky, rooty, trenched out, line picking single track. Yep, it's all there. Steep grinder singletrack thru rocks and roots? Yep. Hiking? Yep. We weren't even 1/2 way into our exploring and the getting was already good.


After looking at some maps and doing a little guesswork, I had charted out a route in my head before the ride. I'm not sure if it was dumb luck or experience, but the route panned out 100%. I guess it didn't hurt to have a pointer here and there, though...Again, more delicious singletrack. This one was different, though. It pitched us into an ass behind the saddle steep, loose and rocky jeep road that just kept going and going and going.
The rocky steeps eventually yielded fast meadows.
With amazing vistas.
Chad had to stop on one last ridge to enjoy the splendor. And to wait for me.
We'll be back...

No comments: