Thursday, August 02, 2007

White Ranch thoughts and ride


I had the rare opportunity to ride a park that I had not been to in over 7 years. I've heard about quite a few changes at White Ranch so I decided to check them out in person. We had a Pearl get together in the afternoon at the upper parking lot. The plan was to ride a little, then utilize the pic-a-nic shelters for some grillin'. I showed up a little before everyone and took the opportunity to pedal before folks arrived.


It didn't take very long to be reminded that I was in a JeffCo park:

I love Jefferson County trail re/construction. At least they keep the lumber yards and the mud flap guys in business. The very least they could do is put some silver naked ladies or Yosemite Sam on those mudflaps. :) After an hour and a half of riding/warm up, I headed back up to the upper lot to meet the PI folk. We got everything situated after not much ado and we were off. By then, the clouds had settle in to frost us with a perfect mist that kept the dirt nice and grippy and the temps down. We pedaled in the rain for a bit before folks decided it was time to get back for burgers and beers. I felt like we had barely got our feet wet, so to speak, and was just getting into my groove. By the time we got back to HQ, the grill was already fired up and we were about ready to roll for dinner. Despite just getting into my groove, it looks like we rode for about 1:15.

I've had a lot of mid ride snacks in my day, but it sure is nice to pedal up to the pic-a-nic table to feast on chips, salsa, burgers and beers. After a double cheeseburger, a Dales Pale, and an Old Chubb, I was ready to ride again, but most were ready to bail. Such lame excuses like letting the dog out were being tossed around. I saddled up and pedaled off. The intent was to hook up with Debaser, Butch, and Matt, another buddy that was in from out of town. I rode another short couple of loops and did not spot them, so I rolled down Mustang, then Belcher Hill to the lower parking lot. They had just arrived at the cars by the time I showed up, so we got to hang out and bs for just a bit. We said hellos and goodbyes and chatted a bit before the crew had to head out. I still had to climb back up to the top.

Note to self. Belcher Hill is good both up and down. The upper parking lot is a good location. DO NOT, however, leave the descent and requisite climb back up Belcher for the last part of the days ride after dinner, beers, and several hours of riding. I blew like I hadn't blown in a long time. There was no laying down under trees or anything like that, but it was all I could do to stay upright and pedal. I got back to the car to find out that I had been gone another 2 hours. Very nice. That makes 4+ hours of riding, no wonder I'm whooped!

Now it's time for the Jefferson County rant. Usually, after I finish up a 4 hour ride, I replay the ride over in my mind, going over the fun spots of the trail and reliving what a fun ride it was. I have to say, that was not the case with the White Ranch Ride. Sure, I rode a few trails that were fun, but I just never got that lovin' feeling. Not once did I crack a smile and go "ahh, yeah." When I first moved to Colorado, I used to really love riding at White Ranch but I was naive. A lot has changed since then - I've ridden tons of quality trails all over the country and I haven't been back to JeffCo in a while. The reality of the situation is that White Ranch is made up primarily of poorly made, unsustainable trails that need to be shored up with wood and rubber (LOTS of it) just to keep the trails from washing out. A lot of the JeffCo riders call this technical, but I call it a pain in the ass. Granted, that park gets a lot of riders, but that's no excuse for all the man made drop offs and ill placed water bars. Not once did I get the feeling that I was "out there" in nature. Every time I'd get a good groove going, I'd round a corner to be faced with a batallion of wooden steps and water bars.

I guess it was an ok ride. Anytime I can pedal for more than 4 hours it's quality in my book. Maybe it'll take another 8 years to bring me back, though. White Ranch - the JeffCo and Denver riders can have it. I'll stick to the northern reaches where the only mudflaps are on redneck pickups and quarry trucks. At least they have pictures on them. :)

2 comments:

Schuman said...

Word, but the one thing Jeffco has figured out is how to manage all types of trail users. there is no "hikers only on Tuesday's" and crap like that. I'd say with Denver right there, they've got some pretty sweet trails right there and it seems everyone gets along.

debaser said...

Yes and no to both of you: the newest park down there is Centennial Cone, and while there's no waterbars (and not much else of interest) they also alternate days.