Monday, September 29, 2008

BFR3 update!

I got out to preride the BFR3 route today. All I can say is DAAAAAAYAMN! It's going to be hard to outdo myself after this one - it was that much fun. Even after riding it today, I can't wait to ride it again this weekend. I got to visit several of my favorite riding areas all in one ride. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Oh, I think it's prudent to mention that it also took a long ass time. 6 hrs 10 minutes to be exact. I don't have any more detailed stats because my GPS is on the fritz (again). I had to be home at 1pm to accomodate family so I busted it early AM. I was pedaling a little later than planned at 7am. Well, not too much later. It didn't get light out in the hills until about 6:30. I stayed at or in front of my guestimated time checks but was basically time trialing it to do so. I had a couple of map sessions, 1 lunch break, and 2 flats. I was freaking whooped when I got home.

Moral of the story is be prepared for a long ride. A really long ride. We'll probably be getting back around 4 or 5. A few years ago, a gal came on our ride (which I mentioned would be 'all day' ) and she got pissed because we weren't going to be back by 3. Please do not be this person :) When I say "all day" I mean it. Also, find a buddy and be self supported. The ride will probably be split into several groups. We'll have a sweep, though (I hope).

Here's a few images from the ride. Did I mention that Fall color was kicking ass, too? Should still be good on Sunday. Bring dark glasses if it's sunny. Them thar trees are bright.

Oh, one more thing. NOT a dog friendly ride.













3 comments:

Itty Bitty Betty said...

Whoo Hoo! I am so excited! After missing the last BFR (sliced open shin) and then the big 2008 Memorial Day Ride (nasty cold), I am ready! I like your optimism about finishing by 5:00, but I'm throwing a light in my pack just in case.

redstone said...

I think I'm going to shorten the ride a bit as night riding the end of the ride is not an option :)

Unknown said...

d00d, this is going to be awesome. I've been eating lots of restaurant food this week, so I'll have plenty of stored calories in case anything goes awry. It's too bad my gut sits on my top tube....