Thursday, June 08, 2006

An Organized Road Ride

If you know me, you must know how strange that looks coming from me, but somehow a friend convinced me that I should attempt the Elephant Rock Century ride in Castle Rock. I'm still not entirely sure what convinced me to do it, but Sunday at 4 in the morning my alarm was waking me up, and I was soon headed south with just a whisper of dawn starting out east.

Riding with 7000 people is just crazy. I still can't get over how many people were out riding their bikes. All day long I was passing riders, and riders were passing me. Hours and hours of passing. I ride all day with my 4 guys - we managed to stop at each aide station within minuted of each other, every time, regrouped with fresh water and food, and headed out again. I still can't believe how closely matched the four of us were, especially concidering I've only ridden with one person from the group! It made the ride and the day much more fun to have folks to talk with.

There were only a few bad things to report. Some stupidity - seeing folks cross the yellow line on just before the crest of a hill. Some annoyances - just okay food at some of the stops, and riders who wouldn't take advantage of their momentum on the hills. Some training - I'm still pretty tired, both from being up early, and from riding all day.

Add it all up, and I'd do it again. The majority of the roads down there were in great shape, traffic stayed away for the most part, and it was beautiful country, whether we were out in the farmland, in the Black Forest, looking right at Pike's Peak, or cruising in the foothills. And there really is a "Rollercoaster Road" and yes its hilly.

One other thing - as we were pulling into Castle Rock at the end of the ride, mile 101 according to my odometer, we were stopped by a light and as I stood there someone behind me said, "I sure could use on of those Dale's Pale Ales right now."

The new Redstone jerseys rock. I was glad to be packing a Gordon's in the cooler in the car!

Now to decide if the Triple Bypass is in my future...

2 comments:

joel.white said...

7,000 bikes is a crazy scene, especially for someone who has only had a road bikes for 2 weeks.

I had a good time out on the road, stayed upright the whole time, avoided flats and for the most part avoided getting caught up behind too many slower riders.

I did the lowly 50 route, but should have done more. Doing road all last weekend makes me seek out a lot of singletrack away from the masses (hopefully) for this weekend.

debaser said...

My wife did the 50 as well.

The 65 mile ride included more hills, judging from where they hooked up with us hundy milers. It almost reminded me of midwest riding, with the shorter ups and downs than what we usually ride out here. Of course, more aplitude on the hills here...

I so agree regarding getting back to the dirt. Come to Winter Park this weekend! We're camping out and riding both days up there. Should be a great time!